Thursday, October 11, 2012

Outside the "norm".

More often than not lately, my days are filled with the following:  grocery shopping, fabric shopping, quilt sewing, house cleaning, cooking, etc.   It's not often anymore that I go out of my way to do something not practical or necessary.  Talk about rut!!!  Recently though, I met a lady online and not living too far away from me on a Havanese forum.  She was in process of getting a puppy when we met and told me of her breeder about an hour from my house.   Well, I'm a sucker for puppies (just like the next guy) so decided to round up my neighbor and take a nice fall trip to meet her and her dogs.  Besides, I LOVE puppies and in the back of my mind am always thinking of getting a companion for our Toby.

What fun!  She had 6 adult dogs of her own, had two litters (one with 3 puppies 7 weeks old and one litter with 5 puppies 2 weeks old), and her sister's dog of 8 months.  Wow, talk about dogs!  Thankfully, Havanese are little dogs to start with, normally not much over 13 lbs full grown but with all of them (except the tiny babies) moving around, I could hardly keep them straight!  My neighbor and I had a seat on some chairs and just watched the action.





I think if she would have had one that looks like this, I would have snatched him up and hid him in my purse.  I am dying for a "bandit" looking Havanese just like this little guy that I found on Puppyfind, but who was already sold.  He was 10 weeks in this picture and his name was "Lucky".  Not lucky enough as far as I'm concerned.  He would have been luckier being with ME!!!  lol


I did find this 4 month old sweetie on the Prairiwind site and she is a cutie too, but I'm thinking we'd really like another boy!  Toby is the first boy dog we've ever had and I'm so sorry now I never tried the boy dogs before!  They're 100 times more loving.....really!!!  I can't believe it, myself!


So, that was my fun!  I think I will be back to visit Patty, the breeder, again.  After all, those tiny babies are getting older now and might need a stranger to give them some lovin' before they find their forever homes.  Until then, I guess I'll go back to quilting.  lol

10 comments:

sew.darn.quilt said...

You must have great restraint not to have cuddled one of these cuties and HAD to bring him home (for Toby's sake,of course). I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to. :)

Luv 2 Kreate said...

I refuse to have female dogs. I had one and the rest have been males. It is true that the males are more loving! Although I have to admit I would have a hard time resisting the face of that last one!

Montserrat said...

ella es una preciosidad y seguro que tambien una magnifica compañera.
she is a beautiful dog and also a great friend. congratulations
kiss. Montserrat Jimenez

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Carol! That was a dangerous autumn trip - how you came home without puppy in your pocket?! I think it's good to have two boys together (or two girls). I'm happy to hear that you have so good experience about your boy. I have had both and would choose a girl ... but it depends about the dog. x Teje
Ps. Your last post is so joyful with those happy colours!

stitchinpenny said...

As a breeder once told me - it is not the sex, coloration, or age when adopted that makes for a loving dog - it is the human attention and socialization done at an early age. She spent at least 20 minutes a day individually with each puppy and tried to keep the puppies in her den until all were sold. Her show and breeding dogs were in kennels, but they each got time from her family every day and the kids were allowed to have favorites and spoil them. Her daughter used to sleep on the floor in the den with her hand in the cage when puppies were very young since "they might need me." After being around her dogs I believe her. She even tried to plan litters with enough time between them that the little pups could get special attention. Nature sometimes didn't allow for that and she had one female that wasn't good as a mother, but produced beautiful pups so she bred her very soon after another female so the other female would take the litter if necessary. She only had 7 adults and they were big dogs that did field training above and beyond conformation showing. I often wondered how she had enough hours in a day until I went up one weekend and saw the house full of teenagers ecah with a puppy in hand.

Sandy in Buenos Aires said...

Ohhhhh, I would have spent HOURS there !!!! And possibly brought a little pup home to make Oliver company !!!
Oli is my first dog [I've always had birds before him] and I've always thought..why not a male dog? what's wrong with them that everybody wants a gril??? So my first choice was a boy, and I LOVE him sooo much and he's so loving and tender and I still can't understand why people prefer females ??? Boys deserve to be loved too !!! and they give you all the love back, and more !!!
Toby and Oli are lucky guys for sure !!!
Hugs,
Sandy-

Farm Gate Creations Incorporating Hummingbird Quilting said...

I seriously don't know how you walked away from there with out a pup under your arm. I know that I definitely don't have that kind of restraint. Puppies are just the cutest.

Elaine said...

a bandit puppy-- too cute! i also love that your day has daily fabric shopping. :)

Cindy Sharp said...

Okay...i'm needing to see a Javanese quilted portrait done...like a quilt lady, only your perfect puppy.

Sounds like you had a blast.

tijerasycuchara said...

helo i love your work. I congratulate them
have a good day
Josefina
tijerasycuchara.wordpress.com