Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Colours on Linen

Linen is a new fabric to my game, but so many quilters use it all the time, and I was curious.  I ventured to Joanns a few weeks back and luckily found it on sale for $9 a yard and figured it was the perfect opportunity to "test the waters" so to speak.  I did wash it to tighten the weave though which I rarely do with my quilting fabrics.  I'm still on the fence!  It's okay, I suppose, but perhaps if I had bought something besides white, I would have noticed a bigger difference.  What do you think?

Colours on Linen


Helen said...

Carol, you are on fire with these min quilts! They are all just stunning, lovely work.

Poppyprint said...

It's fab! And you spelled colour with a 'u'! Are we Canadian/U.K. quilters having a Webster's-like influence on you Carol? The echo quilting is really cool. I am also just starting to use linen. I find without any cotton blended into it, it's too swishy and doesn't hold the cut edge very straight due to the loose weave, even after washing (spray starch/pressing helps a bit). So, I'm now collecting linen/cotton blend to use. I think it gives a richer background here, rather than a Kona white which is quite thin and transparent. Will you use it again? I'm also on the look out for quilting cotton that has a lineny look...like two of the tan/taupe solids that came out with the French Laundry line Rouenneries (I'm fairly sure that is misspelled). So I can get the look without trying to piece the wonkiness that is 100% linen.

sewkatiedid said...

It's fun!

I cut things bigger sometimes and then cut it down.

Carolina Chambray in natural is a great alternative and easier to quilt, or cotton blends. The thicker natural linen at Joann's is actually one of my favorites.

live a colorful life said...

Oh, wow. I just found you on flickr. This is amazing. I'm adding you to my blogroll!