Friday, September 4, 2009

Sometimes It All Starts With Just A Thought


I think I told you how much fun I had creating little quilts recently for the "Doll Quilt Swap" (DQS #7), right?  Well, when I thought about how much work was involved to organize 190 plus swap participants, my mind frazzled!!!  Who in the world would want to take on a job like that??  Imagine the pitfalls of 200 plus e-mails hitting your system all at once.  E-gads!  Not only that, but the current swap MAMA has done it more than once!!  Eikes...talk about torture!

Right then, I knew I had to do something to at least show my appreciation...but what???  (((Can you see the idea forming here???)))  It had to have a supreme being and little beings too.....it had to be whimsical and light, because that is how she is.......so out came the paper and pencil and this is what I drew:    








Next, I went to my copy shop and had 4 complete copies made of the whole thing.  After that, I got out my fabrics and "Steam a Seam" and went to work cutting and ironing.



It took all day just to piece....so the next day, it was the quilting:



Ooops, not done yet!!!  Binding and dowel cutting, and attaching the little "O" was next.  I sure was hoping she'd hang it.  Then...naturally, I had to take pics.  Outside, inside...which were best?  My motto is record it all, you can always delete the crummy ones.  LOL 

A tiny bit more.....

Here's the left side......

Finally, may I present, "CHICKENFOOT ET AL" with gratitude and appreciation:

chickenfoot et all

Cool huh? I love it and hope that she does too....BUT, for someone who prides herself on neat quilt backs (me), please don't look at this one. Eikes!!!

mama chickenfoot complete back

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That is just way too cute! Of course she will love it, how fun!

Gharrity Family de Santa Fe said...

That is one of the cutest things I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

You just drew it! I can't believe how talented you are! You can do it all; sew, cook and draw too! Not fair! I love this little design. How adorable to hang on the wall. That took quite a bit of work, and it was sooooo worth it. I love it and am a huge fan of your creative mind! ;)

susan said...

oh geez. i love seeing your process! you are so darn talented woman!!!! i of course love the heck out of it. it was so thoughtful of you to do it. i really appreciate it, and will treasure it. i love being the big swap mama. its a big pain in the you know what for about 2 weeks, but then its fun. the people are so nice and i love meeting new people each round. people like you make it all worthwhile
smooches sweetie

nanotchka said...

So fun to see the process! You are such a talented artist! I can see you doing a whole series of these little character quilts! Will be watching for more of your work! You should make this one up as a pattern! Let me know if you do!

Cole's Corner said...

Oh man... I'm speechless.
and that's rare.

Amanda Jean said...

i think the back is fun, too! it's a GREAT little quilt. you do such a nice job!

Unknown said...

I love it! Front and back, everything! You are very talented!

KaHolly said...

Most adorable award!!